Saturday 21 July 2012

On Broccoli

 This vegetable happens to be the latest additions to our high scale veggi wallas. I first heard of it in the 1960's when Dennis the Menace refused to partake despite his Mom's diatribe that they were good for the health though they tasted like crap(my words not hers). A fact endorsed by Bush the Elder American Prez even though he shared Dennis's views regarding its taste.

And now it has landed on our shores. Probably as a result of the assimilation of all things Americans by our Green Card holders. Who, on their visits may have felt nostalgic about those things available "back Home". I mean it is disgraceful that after 5000 odd years of civilisation we couldn't come up with a veggi as marvellous as this? Disgraceful. 

Still, all was not lost. The word spread. To the doctors, the dietitians, fitness gurus and of course those of us who did not want to be left behind when it came to things currently trendy.

Well, their efforts have paid off. You see this veggi all over the place. In the food Bazaars of High end Malls, high brow Veggi wallas, Hell, even your friendly neighbourhood veggi walla for whom it is a statement that "I have arrived".

Well, I haven't. Nor ever will. Maybe cause I don't have a recipe. Or, more likely, my take that Dara Singh wasnt a broccoli man. Nor were Milkha Singh, sundry Mr. India's, G.R. Viswanath or even Anna Hazare. If they could do without it, I think I can.  

No comments:

Post a Comment